Monday, March 24, 2014

First 1/72-scale Persians

At last year's MayDay auction, I ended up buying an enormous box of 1/72-scale Persians for CCA. Then a bunch more came my way in a "my junk for your junk" deal with Dave. While I still have my eye on Rome, I wanted to give the Persians a start.


These are 12 light horse from HaT. I find non-uniform armies intimidating to paint. I'm pretty okay with Gauls and other hairys but the colour palette I see with Persians is way out of my comfort zone.


So, girding my loins, I just decided to start at the top of my painty rack and work my way down, grabbing colours I don't normally paint with (pink, purple, lime green, yellow). The results turned out better than I thought and I learned a few things that I will start to apply to the more serious Persian units.


I think the spearmen are supposed to have shields but I didn't see any when I sorted (although who knows--there are a lot of bags and boxes. But shields are easy enough to fabricate and add on later.


Up next: Gaming with Bruce, maybe a lecture on POWs and then some more Romans. Must look through my various boxes to find some Romans suitable for three command bases.

No comments: