Thursday, July 24, 2014

A Few Acres of Snow

Bruce swung by this afternoon for a game of A Few Acres of Snow. This is only of my favourite wars of North America game. Card driven and you build your deck as you go.


We managed two games in about 100 minutes. The first game was a British win based upon building up large population centres (no military conflict whatsoever). It was, however, a damned close game (1 point, I think--I was surprised how close it was).


The second game we had conflict. You can see the British assaulting Louisburg below (on the far left_ and totally hosing the French players' card sequencing. This assault was eventually repelled.


The British again ended the game with a population build. Yet this was a strong French win, perhaps because of the British military dalliance allowed a couple of extra moves for the French to build an edge? I dunno--I never feel I know what I'm doing in this game and that is quite enjoyable.


I keep reading this game is broken (using the Halifax Hammer technique) but I've never seen that in play and much of the tension is actually about hand management and the sequence the cards come up in (that Bruce is also playing is often lost on me).  Up next are some 1/72-scale WW2 troops I have finally finished.

2 comments:

fireymonkeyboy said...

Ooooh, hadn't heard about this one. Going to have to look it up.

FMB

Bob Barnetson said...

Pretty interesting game--asymmetrical, lots of choices, lots of ways to win (and lose...).